Saturday, December 29, 2007

shaking off the tinsel

Well... it's time to shake off the tinsel and get back to something that resembles normal life. Brett went back to work the day after Christmas, and I started teaching my music classes again on Friday. We had to rearrange both of the girls' bedrooms, bunk the beds, and clean out closets, cupboards and drawers; out with the old and in with the new. All things Christmas are put away for another year. Except for my Christmas cards... I will get them out eventually.

The girls got new ice skates from Santa (thank you Santa) and sleds from their Nana, so it gives us good reason to spend more time outside and enjoy all the snow we have. Savannah and Meggie have really been doing well on their ice skates and Brett has worked hard to keep a clear ice skating rink with all the snow that has been falling.

Some of my favorite memories from Christmas are Ava yelling through the bottom of our bedroom door with her face smashed sideways against the carpet..."Are you done wrapping presents yet Mom? Can I come in yet Mom? Mom I really want you; can I come in and just close my eyes?"

Meggie going over to Ava and giving her a big kiss and hug saying "I love my present Ava, thank you." I don't think that would have happened if I would have had either of the cameras out.


Savannah reading countless stories to Meggie and Ava by the Christmas tree; and reminding them to "choose the right" so Santa can bring them presents. Savannah also directed a little Christmas concert one evening with all three girls shaking jingle bells and singing Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree..."You will get a single-mental (yes, you heard me 'single-mental') feeling when you hear, voices singing let's be jolly, deck the halls with boughs of holly".... and some other Christmas favorites.

Brett and I were able to stay up until midnight for the last 12 days before Christmas (we are usually in bed by 9:30pm) and finish all three blankets that we made for the girls.
I did the sewing and ironing, while he did all the measuring, cutting, and pinning. It was fun to work on a project together and I told him I already have more in mind that I could use his help on!

We all have eaten more than our share of garlic stuffed green olives...a new holiday favorite???

What are some of your favorite memories?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like your Christmas was pretty perfect. I can't believe you got Brett to help you with blankets for the girls. You should post pictures so we can all see. I also have to say Green Olives are my favorite!

Sheila said...

I'll skip the green olives but sign me up for one of those blankets! Ava got a parrot too? Grace loves hers. I can't wait to see you. More surprises for you when you get here from Aunt Sheila!