Monday, April 14, 2008

baby ducks


There were three little girls who pined for a pet

But their parents said "Not now. Not yet."

So they fussed and they sighed,
They pouted and cried-

"We're the only kids without- on the whole westside!"

Soon their daddy's heart softened and he got creative

Maybe he could find a pet that to the Lake was native.

"That way they could stay, but then go away."

(a pet that would leave by Labor Day!)

"Flying mallards. A beautiful choice!"

And three small voices sang and rejoiced-

"We love you Daddy! We'll take good care!

They'll have plenty of love, food, water - fresh air!"

So our journey begins, but how will it end?

Migrate and fly free? Or, stay and depend?





6 comments:

shellydinger said...

What lucky girls! Who else gets baby ducks as pets?! Did each girl get to name one?

ej said...

How cute! Great creativity. I always wish we could live someplace and have a couple of chickens for the children to take care of and eventually gather eggs from. That or a horse. And we all know that's not happening. I can't wait to see how they do! (the girls and the ducks)

Kristin said...

What fun! They girls are going to have so many great memories from this experience. I loved your post, you are so very creative!

Sarah said...

I remember being at your house a long time ago on the 4th of July. We found a baby duck and thought it had been separated from its mom, so we took it in the house and it got loose. That was so funny, something I'll never forget. I'm glad to see those cute little girls got what they wished for. What did you name them?

Sheila said...

Cute poem and pics! I hope they find their own way...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blogg.Loved the pictures,loved the poem & love you and yours! mom